Re: What can we learn from MySQL? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Andrew Payne
Subject Re: What can we learn from MySQL?
Date
Re: What can we learn from MySQL?  ("scott.marlowe" <scott.marlowe@ihs.com>)
List pgsql-advocacy
Scott Marlowe wrote:

> While Apache is and has been wildly popular for bulk hosing and domain
> parking, for serious commercial use, Netscape's enterprise server, now Sun
> One, has long been a leader in commercial web sites.

Netscrape/SunONE may have been a leader in some sub-market, but this misses
the point.

Apache + NCSA never had less than 50% market share, overall.

    http://news.netcraft.com/archives/web_server_survey.html

Postgres is in a completely different situation:  95+?% of the world's
databases don't run on Postgres, and it's been this way for a long time.

Also, Apache never had "MyApache", a more popular version that many believe
to be "free" and "open source".

My point:  Apache was successful in a situation that may not apply here.

Does anyone know of an open source project that *has* successfully displaced
a market of mature, established products WITHOUT a commercial entity
providing marketing, support & direction?

-andy