RE: why no stored procedures? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Robert J. Sanford, Jr.
Subject RE: why no stored procedures?
Date
List pgsql-general
Jan Wieck responded in an irritated manner thusly:

> What exactly do you mean with "there are no stored
> procedures"?

i won't pretend to know what what the original poster
had in mind when asking his question but i'm a newbie
at postgres and i have some confusion as to how a
function maps to a stored procedure. the big question
in my mind is how i can treat the results from a
function as a table. i can't. i posted a message to
the pgsql-sql list which i have included below. this
tells me that postgres _does not_ support stored
procedures in the manner that those of us coming from
microsoft sql server and/or oracle.

thanks!

rjsjr

> i'm reading the postgres documentation and i'm specifically
> interested in creating stored procedures so that i can keep
> as much of the business logic in the database as possible.
> while reading 13.1.3 (SQL Functions on Composite Types) in
> the Programmer's Guide i come across the phrase...
>    "When calling a function that returns a row, we cannot
>    retrieve the entire row. We must either project an
>    attribute out of the row or pass the entire row into
>    another function.
>       SELECT name(new_emp()) AS nobody;"

Unfortunately, PostgreSQL functions do not yet return result
sets.  This is on the "todo" list but unfortunately requires
an overhaul of how postgresql functions work.

-Josh Berkus