Re: SCSI vs SATA - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From James Mansion
Subject Re: SCSI vs SATA
Date
List pgsql-performance
>Right --- the point is not the interface, but whether the drive is built
>for reliability or to hit a low price point.

Personally I take the marketing mublings about the enterprise drives
with a pinch of salt.  The low-price drives HAVE TO be reliable too,
because a non-negligible failure rate will result in returns processing
costs that destroy a very thin margin.

Granted, there was a move to very short warranties a while back,
but the trend has been for more realistic warranties again recently.
You can bet they don't do this unless the drives are generally pretty
good.

James