Re: SCSI vs SATA - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: SCSI vs SATA
Date
List pgsql-performance
"James Mansion" <james@mansionfamily.plus.com> writes:
>> Right --- the point is not the interface, but whether the drive is built
>> for reliability or to hit a low price point.

> Personally I take the marketing mublings about the enterprise drives
> with a pinch of salt.  The low-price drives HAVE TO be reliable too,
> because a non-negligible failure rate will result in returns processing
> costs that destroy a very thin margin.

Reliability is relative.  Server-grade drives are built to be beat upon
24x7x365 for the length of their warranty period.  Consumer-grade drives
are built to be beat upon a few hours a day, a few days a week, for the
length of their warranty period.  Even if the warranties mention the
same number of years, there is a huge difference here.

            regards, tom lane