Re: newbie question - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Christopher Kings-Lynne
Subject Re: newbie question
Date
List pgsql-sql
> Transactions (well, recently mysql allows them but using propietary
> extensions), foreign key relationships, subqueries, stored
> procedures/triggers. MySQL lacks all of these.

MySQL's InnoDB tables have foreign keys, but they are RESTRICT only - ie.
they're kinda useless.

> On the other side, postgres is only ported on *nix platforms, but you
> can put cygwin/cygipc on Windows, if that is the case. And mysql is
> "friendlier", that means wrong column value types (INT_VALUE = '5') and
> double quotes working as simple quotes, so it's easier to start with.

It's a trap that 'easy to use' factor.  Problem with MySQL is that they just
make up whole swathes of their SQL syntax out of whole cloth.  They just
make it up.  Then, when you go to use any other SQL-standard database on
Earth you have a rather painful learning and code conversion process.  Just
talk to anyone who uses MySQL's date and time functions, ISNULL(field), or
'KEY's and stuff...

Poor newbies get to thinking that MySQL's way is the standard way, but it's
not.  That's what happened to me, and my life has been a wonderful thing
ever since we ditched MySQL in favour of Postgres in our company!

Chris