Arch (was RE: Refactoring of command.c ) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Christopher Kings-Lynne
Subject Arch (was RE: Refactoring of command.c )
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > What is a repo-copy?
> > A repo-copy (which is a short form of ``repository copy'') refers to
> > the direct copying of files within the CVS repository.
>
> Yeah, I think that's what we discussed the last time the question came
> up.
>
> It seems awfully wrongheaded to me.  IMHO, the entire point of a CVS
> repository is to store past states of your software, not only the
> current state.  Destroying the accurate representation of your historical
> releases is a poor tradeoff for making it a little easier to find the
> log entries for code that's been moved around.  What's the point
> of having history, if it's not accurate?

Sounds like it's time to move to using 'arch':

http://www.regexps.com/#arch

Supports everything that CVS doesn't, including rename events...

BTW - I'm not _seriously_ suggesting this change - but it would be cool,
wouldn't it?

People could start their own local branches which are part of the global
namespace, easily merge them in, etc...

Chris