Re: Wacky OID idea - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Christopher Kings-Lynne
Subject Re: Wacky OID idea
Date
Re: Wacky OID idea  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
> I don't think it would be easy to do this without rewriting the table,
> as Alvaro suggested. And if you're going to give this DROP COLUMN
> variant totally different behavior from any other form of DROP COLUMN,
> ISTM that it doesn't belong with DROP COLUMN.

Especially if we start saving the 4 bytes that a NULL oid takes up in a
table tuple on disk.

Perhaps:

ALTER TABLE tab SET WITHOUT OIDS;

I think the reverse operation would really be impossible...?  Unless we run
through the entire table and insert an oid for each row from the oid
counter?

> That said, being able to remove the OIDs from a table would be fairly
> useful, IMHO.

Hell yeah.

By the way - I'm not saying I'll be implementing this any time soon!

Chris