Re: Wacky OID idea - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: Wacky OID idea
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@atentus.com> writes:
> Christopher Kings-Lynne dijo:
> > Could we overload "ALTER TABLE/DROP COLUMN oid" to allow someone to change a
> > table to be WITHOUT OIDs at runtime?

I don't think it would be easy to do this without rewriting the table,
as Alvaro suggested. And if you're going to give this DROP COLUMN
variant totally different behavior from any other form of DROP COLUMN,
ISTM that it doesn't belong with DROP COLUMN.

That said, being able to remove the OIDs from a table would be fairly
useful, IMHO.

> Create new filenode, copy tuples over, change relhasoids.  Seems easy.
> Am I missing something?

Yes -- DROP COLUMN currently doesn't require that the entire table be
re-written, it just modifies some meta-data.

Cheers,

Neil

--
Neil Conway <neilconway@rogers.com>