pg_dump in 7.4 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Christopher Kings-Lynne
Subject pg_dump in 7.4
Date
Re: pg_dump in 7.4  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: pg_dump in 7.4  (Rod Taylor <rbt@rbt.ca>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Has anyone given much thought to improving pg_dump's object order algorithm
for 7.4?  It seems that now we have dependencies, it should just be a matter
of doing a breadth-first or depth-first search over the pg_depend table to
generate a valid order of oids.

To allow for mess-ups in that table, the next step would be to add to the
end of the list of oids any objects that for whatever reason aren't in the
dependency system.  (Is this possible?  Manual hacking can do it
methinks...)

Does this sound like an idea?

I've just become rather frustrated trying to do a test reload of our 7.2.3
dump into 7.3b5.  The problem is all the tsearch types are declared after
the tables that actually use them!

Chris