Re: pg_dump in 7.4 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Philip Warner
Subject Re: pg_dump in 7.4
Date
Re: pg_dump in 7.4  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
At 01:33 PM 13/11/2002 +0800, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
>Does this sound like an idea?

It does, but in keeping with allowing pg_restore to be quite flexible, I'd
like to see the dependency data stored in the dump file, then processed at
restore-time.

>I've just become rather frustrated trying to do a test reload of our 7.2.3
>dump into 7.3b5.  The problem is all the tsearch types are declared after
>the tables that actually use them!

pg_dump already has rudimentary dependency tracking (one level deep); each
item can have a list of oid's it depends on. You *could* patch it to add
the types to the table dependencies.

In the future I'd imagine we'll just dump the OIDs of all first level
dependencies for each object, then at restore-time, process them in
whatever order the user requests (defaulting to dependency-order).

Fax: (+61) 03 5330 3172          |                 ___________ |
Http://www.rhyme.com.au          |                /           \|                                 |    --________--
PGP key available upon request,  |  /
and from pgp5.ai.mit.edu:11371   |/