Re: url to free text search stategies in postgresql? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Karen Ellrick
Subject Re: url to free text search stategies in postgresql?
Date
List pgsql-general
I would be interested in full text search capabilities that would work in
Multibyte mode.  I don't get the impression that either
.../contrib/fulltextsearch/ or Open FTS would work on, say, Japanese (which
is what I need) - both seem to operate by interpreting the data as words and
phrases and breaking it up into substrings, but Japanese writing doesn't use
spaces to separate words, so I have no idea how those tools would choose
substrings.  I am building a web page for FAQ's that includes searching, but
all my current code (PHP-based, BTW) would allow the user to search on is
one string of text (I just take whatever they input and do a LIKE on each of
my two text-type fields "question" and "answer").  If I allow multiple
search strings I would need multiple LIKE phrases, and I'm afraid the speed
of the query would go down the tubes, since LIKE (or ~*) doesn't use
indexes, right?  I don't necessarily need anything super sophisticated,
since it's not searching the world but just our product FAQs, but I want it
to be reasonably efficient.  At a minimum, maybe someone can tell me pros
and cons to using LIKE versus ~* if I start expanding to allow multiple
search strings - is there a performance difference?  I can't really test the
speed very well because there is no real data yet - that will be somebody
else's job after I'm done with the code.

Any thoughts?

Karen Ellrick
S & C Technology, Inc.
1-21-35 Kusatsu-shinmachi
Hiroshima  733-0834  Japan
(from U.S. 011-81, from Japan 0) 82-293-2838