Re: How about a psql backslash command to show GUCs? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mark Dilger
Subject Re: How about a psql backslash command to show GUCs?
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> On Apr 7, 2022, at 6:21 AM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
>
> \dconf seems fine to me

We have too many synonyms for configuration parameters.  "config", "guc", "parameter", and "setting" are already in
use. I thought we agreed on the other thread that "setting" means the value, and "parameter" is the thing being set.
It'strue that "config" refers to parameters in the name of pg_catalog.set_config, which is a pretty strong precedent,
butsadly "config" also refers to configuration files, the build configuration (as in the "pg_config" tool), text search
configuration,etc.

While grep'ing through doc/src/sgml, I see no instances of "conf" ever referring to configuration parameters.  It only
everrefers to configuration files.  I'd prefer not adding it to the list of synonyms.

—
Mark Dilger
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company