Re: How about a psql backslash command to show GUCs? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: How about a psql backslash command to show GUCs?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Mark Dilger <mark.dilger@enterprisedb.com> writes:
> We have too many synonyms for configuration parameters.  "config", "guc", "parameter", and "setting" are already in
use. I thought we agreed on the other thread that "setting" means the value, and "parameter" is the thing being set.

Right, so the suggestion of \dsetting seems a tad off-kilter.

> It's true that "config" refers to parameters in the name of pg_catalog.set_config, which is a pretty strong
precedent,but sadly "config" also refers to configuration files, the build configuration (as in the "pg_config" tool),
textsearch configuration, etc.

I'd also thought briefly about \dpar or \dparam, but I'm not sure that
that's much of an improvement.  \dconf is at least in line with the
docs' terminology of "configuration parameter".  (Note that bare
"parameter" has other meanings too, eg function parameter.)  I wouldn't
fight too hard if people want to lengthen it to \dconfig for consistency
with set_config().