Re: Problems with pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ben Ramsey
Subject Re: Problems with pg_dump
Date
List pgsql-general
Reply didn't reply to the list, as I had assumed... it replied to the person
who sent the message.  Oh well... Let's try again. :)

> Is it possible that you have a mismatch between versions of pg_dump
> and PostgreSQL?

I don't think this is possible since this is the only installation of
Postgres running on this machine.  There was no installation previous to
this one.  Furthermore, there are 12 databases, and only one of them dumps
correctly with pgdump.  The rest of them give me one of these two error
messages.

Can someone just tell me what these error messages mean so I can get
underway with debugging this?  I needed the dump of at least two of these
databases last week for our clients.

Thanks.

The error messages, again, are:

     dumpClasses(): command failed.  Explanation from backend:
     'pqReadData() -- backend closed the channel unexpectedly.
     This probably means the backedn terminated abnormally
     before or while processing the request.'.

And:

     getTables(): SELECT failed.  Explanation from backend:
     'ERROR:  aclitemout: bad ai_type: 39'.