Problems with pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ben Ramsey
Subject Problems with pg_dump
Date
List pgsql-general
There are several databases I'm trying to dump, but I keep running into
problems.  Could someone please tell me what these error messages mean?
(I'm using PostgreSQL 7.0.1).

I'm trying to dump a database with the following command:

     pg_dump -d db1 > db1.out

And I'm getting the following error:

     dumpClasses(): command failed.  Explanation from backend:
     'pqReadData() -- backend closed the channel unexpectedly.
     This probably means the backedn terminated abnormally
     before or while processing the request.'.

With a second database, running the same command, I get an entirely
different error message:

     getTables(): SELECT failed.  Explanation from backend:
     'ERROR:  aclitemout: bad ai_type: 39'.

Still, with a third database, all works well and the database structure and
INSERT statements are dumped to the file.

I need to retrieve the data from these two databases ASAP for a client.  If
anyone knows the answer and can help, please do so.

Thanks,

Ben Ramsey

Technical Director
EUREKA! INTERACTIVE, INC.