Re: PostgreSQL HardWare - Mailing list pgsql-general

From SHELTON,MICHAEL (Non-HP-Boise,ex1)
Subject Re: PostgreSQL HardWare
Date
List pgsql-general
In my last job we ran a multi-tiered online futures and options trading
system.  Our database was originally on a 2 processor system.  What was
interesting was when we ran tests we decided to try a single processor
system and found that the performance was only marginally (1-2%) better on
the 2 processor system.  So for future upgrades we spent the extra cash on
the fastest single processor we could find rather than on 2 processors.  We
never tested for 4 or more processors so I can't comment on the performance
issues there, but my 2 cents would be to spend the extra money on a faster
processor (if you even need to -- maybe save the money altogether!).

Mike Shelton

-----Original Message-----
From: Fernando San Martín Woerner [mailto:snmartin@galilea.cl]
Sent: Friday, January 04, 2002 7:39 AM
To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL HardWare

I need to build a postgresql database with 2 tables containing 70.000
records each one, but they'll increase their size in 4.000 records monthly
and some triggers and functions will be running on this tables plus other
smaller tables less than 40.000 records.

So i'm planning to implement a Intel PentiumIII Server with 2 cpu, 1GB RAM
and a SCSI HDD with 10 GB running red hat 7.2.

will be enough? have you experiences about it? some tips?

thanks and happy new year....

Fernando San Martín Woerner        counter.li.org Linux User #216550
Jefe Depto. Informática            Galilea S.A.
Talca, VII Región Chile            (56)71-224876
Si hubiera previsto las consecuencias me hubiera hecho relojero.

Albert Einstein

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster