Re: List tables in load order - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Kristo Kaiv
Subject Re: List tables in load order
Date
List pgsql-general

On 02.08.2007, at 4:16, Gregory Williamson wrote:

I am not sure if this is the appropriate list -- please point me at the correct one if not.

I'm trying to create a procedure that would let me retrieve a list of tables and views in a database that will be used to control the order in which lookup data is created/loaded. So, much simplified, if table references table B, which in turn references table A, we want output to list table A, B and C in that order.

I'm sure that this exists -- the pg_dump command must use some similar algorithm to decide in which order to load tables, but I can't see to puzzle this out.

Can anyone provide me with some clues, appropriate RTFM references, etc. ?

Apologies for any duplicate postings -- had issues with my sign up.

This is currently one of the main topics in skytools list. Check the archives:
AFAIK they don't have it quite ready yet but shouldn't take long...

Kristo Kaiv
http://kaiv.wordpress.com (PostgreSQL blog)