Re: Delegating superuser tasks to new security roles (Was: Granting control of SUSET gucs to non-superusers) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mark Dilger
Subject Re: Delegating superuser tasks to new security roles (Was: Granting control of SUSET gucs to non-superusers)
Date
In response to Re: Delegating superuser tasks to new security roles (Was: Granting control of SUSET gucs to non-superusers)  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Responses Re: Delegating superuser tasks to new security roles (Was: Granting control of SUSET gucs to non-superusers)  (Mark Dilger <mark.dilger@enterprisedb.com>)
Re: Delegating superuser tasks to new security roles (Was: Granting control of SUSET gucs to non-superusers)  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers

> On Jul 23, 2021, at 1:54 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Yeah, but you're inventing a system for allowing the restriction on a
> GUC to be something other than is-superuser in the very patch we're
> talking about. So it could be something like is-database-security.
> Therefore I don't grok the objection.

I'm not objecting to how hard it would be to implement.  I'm objecting to the semantics.  If the only non-superuser who
canset the GUC is pg_database_security, then it is absolutely worthless in preventing pg_database_security from
trappingactions performed by pg_network_security members.  On the other hand, if pg_network_security can also set the
GUC,then pg_network_security can circumvent audit logging that pg_database_security put in place.  What's the point in
havingthese as separate roles if they can circumvent each other's authority?

—
Mark Dilger
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company