Re: Lifecycle of PostgreSQL releases - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Brandon Aiken
Subject Re: Lifecycle of PostgreSQL releases
Date
List pgsql-general
If they have a support contract for, say, RHEL, why migrate to something
that support contract doesn't cover?  Those had better be some very
important features or some very critical bug fixes, the latter of which
are very likely to get backported if they're versions covered by a
support contract.

The upgrade question is "why?" not "why not?".

--
Brandon Aiken
CS/IT Systems Engineer

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Tom Lane
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2007 2:00 PM
To: Joshua D. Drake
Cc: Erik Jones; CAJ CAJ; pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Lifecycle of PostgreSQL releases

> 1. More people will run 8.3 than 8.2. Why? Because 8.3 will be in the
> wild as current stable longer than 8.2.

Oh, gimme a break, Josh.  A year or more from now that argument would be
relevant, but unless you are going to counsel your customers not to
update till mid-2008, it's completely irrelevant to whether it makes
sense to update now.  If you *are* going to tell them to wait until
8.3.4 or so (which I can see an argument for, if you don't like being
an early adopter), won't you then be in exactly the same position that
"8.4 is just around the corner"?

Your other four points are mere rehashings of that one.

** LEGAL DISCLAIMER **
Statements made in this e-mail may or may not reflect the views and
opinions of Wineman Technology, Inc. or its employees.

This e-mail message and any attachments may contain legally privileged,
confidential or proprietary information. If you are not the intended
recipient(s), or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of
this message to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified
that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail
message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in
error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this e-mail
message from your computer.