Re: Lifecycle of PostgreSQL releases - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Lifecycle of PostgreSQL releases
Date
Re: Lifecycle of PostgreSQL releases  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
List pgsql-general
> 1. More people will run 8.3 than 8.2. Why? Because 8.3 will be in the
> wild as current stable longer than 8.2.

Oh, gimme a break, Josh.  A year or more from now that argument would be
relevant, but unless you are going to counsel your customers not to
update till mid-2008, it's completely irrelevant to whether it makes
sense to update now.  If you *are* going to tell them to wait until
8.3.4 or so (which I can see an argument for, if you don't like being
an early adopter), won't you then be in exactly the same position that
"8.4 is just around the corner"?

Your other four points are mere rehashings of that one.

            regards, tom lane