Re: PostgreSQL/FireBird - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Brandon Aiken
Subject Re: PostgreSQL/FireBird
Date
List pgsql-general

Borland simply chose a modified MPL to release their InterBase 6 under.  They have since release InterBase 6 under a commercial license, and have also released InterBase 7 under a commercial license.  MPL is a fairly common license.  Sun’s CDDL is a modified MPL, for example.  The MPL is somewhere between a BSD license and the GPL in terms of what you can do with it.  Unlike BSD, all code changes must stay under the MPL.  Unlike the GPL, MPL code can be combined with proprietary files.  MySQL’s license is a lot more complicated than the MPL.

The FSF says the MPL is not compatible with the GPL, but, well, the FSF generally finds *all* non-GPL licenses incompatible with the GPL (BSD, MPL, Apache, etc.).  The only truly GPL-compatible license I know of is LGPL (and there have been arguments about that).  That’s the problem with the GPL.  You’re not agreeing to open source your code as much as you’re agreeing to abide by the FSF’s political beliefs.  Political lock-in for developers in lieu of vendor lock-in for end-users.

Compared to SQLite, Firebird has many more features.  Firebird *can* function as a network server and runs as a separate process instead of a C library that gets compiled in your binary.  If you want multiple apps to access the same data or you want to use ODBC, Firebird can do that without the kitchen sink approach of PostgreSQL.

Compared to JetSQL – which I assume is what Access and Exchange use – Firebird is cross-platform.  I’ve never used it, but I’ve also never been impressed with the performance of anything that has used JetSQL (Exchange especially).

--

Brandon Aiken

CS/IT Systems Engineer