Re: Trigger vs web service - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Marc-André Goderre
Subject Re: Trigger vs web service
Date
List pgsql-general

I receive a long string (about 1 per second) than content many information. For the moment it is directly inserted in the database (1 column).

I have to treat the hole string every time i need information in it.

Now, I want split the sting and save the informations in differents fields.

I have 2 solutions and would like to have your opinion on them.

1- Program a trigger function detecting the orginal insert, split the string and fill the other field.

2- Program a web service for receiving the string, split it and insert the informations in the db.

Witch is the fastest one (in performance).

Thanks

Marc-Andre Goderre

TI Analyst