INIT DB FAILURE - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mike Miller
Subject INIT DB FAILURE
Date
List pgsql-general
I'll just quickly run down what I did and hopefully someone can help me out.

cd /usr/src/postgresql-7.0.3/src
./configure --prefix=/usr/pgsql
make
make install
mkdir /usr/pgsql/data
chown postgres /usr/pqsql/data
su - postgres
initdb -D /usr/pgsql/data

// I have placed initdb in the path, as well as already created the user
postgres.  There are NO existing versions of postgreSQL on this machine and
this is the first time I am installing it.

The error I get is as follows:
---
[postgres@ pgsql]$ initdb -D /usr/pgsql/data
This database system will be initialized with username "postgres".
This user will own all the data files and must also own the server process.

Fixing permissions on pre-existing data directory /usr/pgsql/data
Creating database system directory /usr/pgsql/data/base
Creating database XLOG directory /usr/pgsql/data/pg_xlog
Creating template database in /usr/pgsql/data/base/template1
ERROR:  Error: unknown type 'ame'.

ERROR:  Error: unknown type 'ame'.

Creating global relations in /usr/pgsql/data/base
ERROR:  Error: unknown type 'ame'.

ERROR:  Error: unknown type 'ame'.

Adding template1 database to pg_database
/usr/pgsql/bin/initdb: line 481: 20412 Segmentation fault
"$PGPATH"/postgres $BACKENDARGS template1 <"$TEMPFILE"

initdb failed.
Removing /usr/pgsql/data.
Removing temp file /tmp/initdb.20382.
---

There has to be some sort of logical explaination for this.  I am running
Linux-2.2.x

Any help would be appreciated.

--
Mike