plpgsql select into question - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From J D
Subject plpgsql select into question
Date
List pgsql-sql
sorry if I've sent this to the wrong list...

what is the proper way to do the following from within a plpgsql proc:
(where table2 is a variable...)

select into user_id max(id) from table2

This is part of a procedure that inserts a new record into table1 (table1
has an auto-incrementing id field). Then a trigger inserts a new record into
table2 using max() to get the new id from table1 (the trigger fires after
insert on table1), then the procedure updates table2. In order to update
table2, I need to get the max(id) so I can do:
update table2 set .... where id = user_id

Thanks very much. And I'm grateful for ideas about a better strategy.
cheers,
jd

http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus&xAPID=42&PS=47575&PI=7324&DI=7474&SU=
http://www.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/getmsg&HL=1216hotmailtaglines_virusprotection_3mf