Re: plpgsql select into question - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Jie Liang
Subject Re: plpgsql select into question
Date
List pgsql-sql
use 'INSERT INTO table1 ... SELECT ... ' stmt in your pgplsql.
EXECUTE command is the way to execute a dynamic query in your function, read
developer guide PL section of docs.

Jie Liang

-----Original Message-----
From: J D [mailto:jd88@hotmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 31, 2002 7:50 AM
To: pgsql-sql@postgresql.org
Subject: [SQL] plpgsql select into question

sorry if I've sent this to the wrong list...

what is the proper way to do the following from within a plpgsql proc:
(where table2 is a variable...)

select into user_id max(id) from table2

This is part of a procedure that inserts a new record into table1 (table1
has an auto-incrementing id field). Then a trigger inserts a new record into

table2 using max() to get the new id from table1 (the trigger fires after
insert on table1), then the procedure updates table2. In order to update
table2, I need to get the max(id) so I can do:
update table2 set .... where id = user_id

Thanks very much. And I'm grateful for ideas about a better strategy.
cheers,
jd

http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus&xAPID=42&PS=47575&PI=7324&DI=7474&S
U=