Re: MySQL-ism help patch for psql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Christensen
Subject Re: MySQL-ism help patch for psql
Date
Re: MySQL-ism help patch for psql  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Jan 21, 2010, at 11:48 AM, Florian Weimer wrote:

> * David Christensen:
>
>> Currently, a session will look like the following:
>>
>>  machack:machack:5485=# show tables;
>>  See:
>>         \d
>>         or \? for general help with psql commands
>>  machack:machack:5485=#
>>
>> Said formatting looks like it could use some improvement, open to
>> suggestions, but something on a single line seems more useful.
>
> You should at least make clear that this is an error message due to an
> unsupported command.  The output above looks broken.  Something like
> this should be okay, I think:
>
> ERROR:  unrecognized configuration parameter "tables"
> NOTICE: use \d to list tables, or \? for general help with psql
> commands
>
> ERROR:  unrecognized configuration parameter "databases"
> NOTICE: use \l to list databases, or \? for general help with psql
> commands

That's a very good point as far as the visibility is concerned.
Should the error messages between the SHOW cases and the others be
consistent ("ERROR: unsupported command" or similar)?  It's worth
noting that this is only in the psql client, but we could simulate the
ereport output from the server.

Regards,

David
--