Re: shared memory on OS X - 7.4beta4 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John DeSoi
Subject Re: shared memory on OS X - 7.4beta4
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sunday, October 26, 2003, at 11:13 PM, Alvaro Herrera Munoz wrote:

> I remember there was a subtle bug in earlier versions corrected after
> beta4.  Can you try beta5 and see if it works for you?  But with beta4
> get 400/20 instead of 300/50, so this is probably not the same problem.

I mentioned earlier in the thread -- I did try beta5 -- same result.

> 1000/100 are actually the largest probed values, so maybe initdb is
> failing to probe or the postgresql.conf is not written correctly.  Does
> the initdb output actually say that it is going to use 1000/100?  And
> is
> the generated postgresql.conf by that initdb run the file that gets
> actually used?

I don't recall seeing the initdb output, but I'm sure the generated
postgresql.conf is the one being used. I lowered max_connections and
saw lower numbers in the failed request when I tried to start the
server.

Best,

John DeSoi, Ph.D.

----
# CONNECTIONS AND AUTHENTICATION
----

# - Connection Settings -

#tcpip_socket = false
max_connections = 100
    # note: increasing max_connections costs about 500 bytes of shared
    # memory per connection slot, in addition to costs from shared_buffers
         # and max_locks_per_transaction.
#superuser_reserved_connections = 2
#port = 5432
#unix_socket_directory = ''
#unix_socket_group = ''
#unix_socket_permissions = 0777    # octal
#virtual_host = ''        # what interface to listen on; defaults to any
#rendezvous_name = ''        # defaults to the computer name

# - Security & Authentication -

#authentication_timeout = 60    # 1-600, in seconds
#ssl = false
#password_encryption = true
#krb_server_keyfile = ''
#db_user_namespace = false

----
# RESOURCE USAGE (except WAL)
----

# - Memory -

shared_buffers = 1000        # min 16, at least max_connections*2, 8KB each
#sort_mem = 1024        # min 64, size in KB
#vacuum_mem = 8192