Re: shared memory on OS X - 7.4beta4 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera Munoz
Subject Re: shared memory on OS X - 7.4beta4
Date
Re: shared memory on OS X - 7.4beta4  (Jim Crate <jcrate@deepskytech.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Sun, Oct 26, 2003 at 10:17:50PM -0500, John DeSoi wrote:

> On Sunday, October 26, 2003, at 05:51 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>
> >How did you install Postgres, and what values did initdb pick for
> >shared_buffers and max_connections?
>
> the postgresql.conf has
> max_connections = 100
> shared_buffers = 1000
>
> And here are are the default settings for OS X 10.2.6:
>
>     sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmax=4194304

Well, I can only say that if I lower shmmax to that value, initdb picks
max_connections = 50
shared_buffers = 300

I remember there was a subtle bug in earlier versions corrected after
beta4.  Can you try beta5 and see if it works for you?  But with beta4 I
get 400/20 instead of 300/50, so this is probably not the same problem.

1000/100 are actually the largest probed values, so maybe initdb is
failing to probe or the postgresql.conf is not written correctly.  Does
the initdb output actually say that it is going to use 1000/100?  And is
the generated postgresql.conf by that initdb run the file that gets
actually used?

Maybe this is useless anyway, because I'm on Linux.  Someone with an
actual OS X system could probably be a lot more helpful.

"Cuando no hay humildad las personas se degradan" (A. Christie)