[General]Postgres Upgrade - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Darrin Ladd
Subject [General]Postgres Upgrade
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

I have been having serious problems with upgrading from 6.5.3 to 7.0.2.  I
currently have 6.5.3 running in what was the default locations for the RPMS
(I am running it on an Alpha box with Red Hat Linux 6.2).  I wanted to keep
that going and configure 7.0.2 so that it is located in a different
directory (same disk, just the actual default directories for the source as
opposed to the alternate directories used by the RPMS) and a different port.
  So, instead of using the RPMS for 7.0.2, I used the source tar files,
compiled them and configured the new area.  I then tried performing the
regression test (runcheck) and that failed on the initdb because of
spinlocks being stuck (prior e-mail that I sent).  I then started looking at
the general- and hacker- archives and found that that usually happens
because of a problem with too many backend processes overflowing your shared
memory.  But, I have a hard time believing that the one process running
against the 6.5.3, and the regression test overflowed the 4 Meg of shared
memory that the kernel has.  So, then I decided to just continue with the
install and made it fine to the initdb step.  In the true install the initdb
step fails when trying to create the template1 database with an error:

ERROR: Error: unknown type 'oidvector'.

I am at a complete loss.  I am wondering if there is anyone out there that
has had a successful install, using the source tar's as opposed to the RPMS,
on a Red Hat Linux box with version 7.0.2?  I have sent a similar question
to the hackers mail list, but I am not getting any answers back at all.  Do
I have to use the RPMS and destroy the old database, or should I be able to
do what I am attempting to do?  My apologies for this being so long, my
nervousness comes out in wordiness.

I really appreciate any help that you can give me.

Regards,
Darrin