Re: [General]Postgres Upgrade - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [General]Postgres Upgrade
Date
List pgsql-general
"Darrin Ladd" <darrin_ladd@hotmail.com> writes:
> I have been having serious problems with upgrading from 6.5.3 to 7.0.2.  I
> currently have 6.5.3 running in what was the default locations for the RPMS
> (I am running it on an Alpha box with Red Hat Linux 6.2).

Darrin, I think your questions were already answered, but just to close
the loop:

7.0.* and earlier will *not* run on Linux/Alpha without patches.
This is fixed for 7.1, but if you want to compile the current release
from source for Alpha you need Ryan Kirkpatrick's (sp?) patches.  IIRC
there is an SRPM available with these patches.

> So, then I decided to just continue with the install and made it fine
> to the initdb step.  In the true install the initdb step fails when
> trying to create the template1 database with an error:

> ERROR: Error: unknown type 'oidvector'.

This is a symptom of initdb invoking a pre-7.0 postgres executable.
Make sure the 7.0 bin directory is in your PATH before any older
version.

            regards, tom lane