Re: catch an 'update where false' ? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Lane Van Ingen
Subject Re: catch an 'update where false' ?
Date
List pgsql-sql
santiago, here are the code snippets for you that come right out of a
trigger that is being used in production today. This trigger is an after
update trigger, so take that into consideration if needed. I think it
will do for you what you need to do.

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION update_rpt_history() RETURNS "trigger" AS
$BODY$
 DECLARE
   rpt_hour_hist           report_history%ROWTYPE;

<snip> (other unrelated variables)
<snip>
   work_hour_curr          timestamp;   work_hour_usage         timestamp;   work_report             varchar;

BEGIN

<snip> (other unrelated logic)
<snip>
     perform * from report_history       where key_fld1 = work_hour_curr       and key_fld2 = work_report;     if not
foundthen       -- if there is no curr hr rcd for report, create it       insert into report_history VALUES (
work_hour_curr,        work_report,         rpt_hour_hist.fld-1,         rpt_hour_hist.fld-2,
rpt_hour_hist.fld-3,        rpt_hour_hist.fld-4,         rpt_hour_hist.fld-5,         rpt_hour_hist.fld-6);     else
  -- if curr hr rcd for report, update it       update report_history set         ifID = rpt_hour_hist.ifID,
fld-1= rpt_hour_hist.fld-1,         fld-2 = rpt_hour_hist.fld-2,         fld-3 = rpt_hour_hist.fld-3,         fld-4 =
rpt_hour_hist.fld-4,        fld-5 = rpt_hour_hist.fld-5,         fld-6 = rpt_hour_hist.fld-6         where key_fld1 =
work_hour_curr        and key_fld2 = work_report; -- neighbor     end if;

<snip> (other unrelated logic)
<snip>

RETURN NULL;
END
$BODY$ LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' STABLE;

I am running PostgreSQL version 8.0 on Windows 2003 and Slackware Linux, if
that
makes a difference.