list non alphanumeric - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Baboo, Isa
Subject list non alphanumeric
Date
List pgsql-general

Hi

Firstly let me mention I am a noob to postgres,DB and sql anyway, I have a column with First names and need to list names that have non-alphanumeric characters in them like + or * and the list goes on.  I did google a bit and tried:

select * from TABLE where first_name not like '%[a-z0-9]%';

However the above shows all the entries in that column and if I change it to Like, which should show all the entries it shows nothing.

e.g of my goal:

Column

Bob

Jane+

Harry*

John

Mike

Larry

My query should output

Jane+

Harry*

To read FirstRand Bank's Disclaimer for this email click on the following address or copy into your Internet browser:
https://www.fnb.co.za/disclaimer.html

If you are unable to access the Disclaimer, send a blank e-mail to firstrandbankdisclaimer@fnb.co.za and we will send you a copy of the Disclaimer.