Re: Example Database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dustin Sallings
Subject Re: Example Database
Date
List pgsql-general
On Monday, Aug 18, 2003, at 07:19 US/Pacific, Erwin Brandstetter wrote:

> I am rather new to PostgreSQL.What I am looking for ist this:
>
> An example database that demonstrates the usage of all the core
> PostgreSQL features. It is one thing to read extensive documentation,
> but it is much more intuitive for me to see an example database, that
> demonstrates the whole thing interacting. I mean, not just the basic
> elements, but an optimized (and maybe nicely documented) database
> getting the best out of views, triggers, indices, rules, stored
> procedures and so on - maybe even a reference database from the
> PostgreSQL developers themselves?
>
> Have been searching for some hours now, but did not succeed. Maybe I
> am just being blind.

    Postgres has enough features that I would guess you're not going to
find a database that uses all of them.

    You'll probably find it a lot easier to learn postgres by thinking of
something you want to do and trying to solve the problem with postgres.
  I find it really difficult to learn a new development tool without
having a particular problem to solve.

--
SPY                      My girlfriend asked me which one I like better.
pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net>