Re: Example Database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jamie Lawrence
Subject Re: Example Database
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 18 Aug 2003, Dustin Sallings wrote:

>     Postgres has enough features that I would guess you're not going to
> find a database that uses all of them.
>
>     You'll probably find it a lot easier to learn postgres by thinking
>     of something you want to do and trying to solve the problem with postgres.
>  I find it really difficult to learn a new development tool without
> having a particular problem to solve.

I almost chimed in earlier, but I'd certainly second this.

As far as the freedom Postgres offers in terms of flexibility of design,
there's no way any single DB will illustrate it well.

I started off using it becuase it was a real database in the free space,
and then started using other features when they made sense.

The ORDB stuff I've only used once; I have to admit that I like a fully
relational database. But there are cases I haven't seen...

The views/rules/triggers capability is priceless. Or, rather, Oracle
will put a price on it for you, which is significantly more than
Postgres.

Play with it.

-j

--