RE: Timeout parameters - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Nagaura, Ryohei
Subject RE: Timeout parameters
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi Andrei,

Thank you for response.

> TCP_USER_TIMEOUT option helps to overcome this problem and I agree with
> you that it needs to be supported within PostgreSQL.
I'm glad to your agreement.

> Nevertheless, it is necessary to take into account that the option
> TCP_USER_TIMEOUT is supported by Linux kernel starting since 2.6.37. In
> a lower kernel version these changes will not take affect.
Does it mean how do we support Linux OS whose kernel version is less than 2.6.37?

> I am not sure that suggested by you “socket_timeout” option should be
> implemented.
> As a workaround I suggest using asynchronous command processing
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/libpq-async.html
There are many applications implemented with synchronous API
(e.g. PQexec()), so "socket_timeout" is useful I think.

Best regards,
Ryohei Nagaura