Syntax error while altering col-type - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From KÖPFERL Robert
Subject Syntax error while altering col-type
Date
Re: Syntax error while altering col-type  (Rosser Schwarz <rosser.schwarz@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-sql
Hi, I am perplexed.

I tried to change the type of a column using the syntax I found in the
[ALTER TABLE] section:
ALTER TABLE "Mailboxes" ALTER COLUMN "Status" TYPE int4;

This shuld be no problem since the current type acutally is int4 and the
names are copy'n'pasted. The server responds as follows:

ERROR:  syntax error at or near "TYPE" at character 47

It seems like it doesn't like the "type". My compiler-experience tells me
that the column identifier is somehow broken. But it exists!

What went wrong?