failed to find conversion function from "unknown" to text - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Szűcs Gábor
Subject failed to find conversion function from "unknown" to text
Date
Re: failed to find conversion function from "unknown" to text  (Andrew Sullivan <ajs@crankycanuck.ca>)
List pgsql-sql
Dear Gurus,

Version: 8.0.0rc4

The scene below might look funny but it's essential for our project:
  [local]:tir=# select 'a' as asdf;   asdf  ------   a  (1 row)
  [local]:tir=# select case 'a' when 'a' then 1 else 2 end as asdf;  ERROR:  failed to find conversion function from
"unknown"to text

This worked up to v7.4.6, and couldn't see it in the "Migration" part of the
HISTORY file.

Question: is there a way to tell the server to convert unknown to something
(text or varchar, don't really care), or to write such a "conversion function"?

A similar conversion for name to varchar conversion would also be highly
desirable for easier migration. Right now I'm writing wrapper functions for
all our functions where params might be names.

If it's written in the doc, could you please tell me the page?

TIA,
--
G.