Re: patterns for database administration - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Matthew Hixson
Subject Re: patterns for database administration
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mar 23, 2004, at 11:16 AM, Bill Moran wrote:

> Chris Boget wrote:
>>>   Has anyone ever heard of using a separate administration database
>>> which is used to modify business data, and then periodically that
>>> data would be pushed out to the other database running the customer
>>> web application?  Does this idea make any sense at all?
>
> I have a system I wrote that does this.  Occasionally, the source from
> which
> we get the data pushes an update, and (frankly) I didn't trust the
> source to
> be consistent, so I process the update as if it were new, raw data,
> put all
> the results into temp tables, then use a stored procedure to copy all
> the
> date to the live tables within a single transaction.
>
> In my case, the database is relatively small (less than 100,000 rows
> total,
> in 6 tables, I think) so this happens fairly quickly.

Are your updates mostly new data that is getting added to the
production system?  Or are people modifying rows that already exist in
the production system?  In my case it will be a mix of both.  Lots of
new rows, but always the possibility for existing rows to be modified.
   -M@