Re: patterns for database administration - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bill Moran
Subject Re: patterns for database administration
Date
List pgsql-general
Chris Boget wrote:
>>   Has anyone ever heard of using a separate administration database
>>which is used to modify business data, and then periodically that data
>>would be pushed out to the other database running the customer web
>>application?  Does this idea make any sense at all?

I have a system I wrote that does this.  Occasionally, the source from which
we get the data pushes an update, and (frankly) I didn't trust the source to
be consistent, so I process the update as if it were new, raw data, put all
the results into temp tables, then use a stored procedure to copy all the
date to the live tables within a single transaction.

In my case, the database is relatively small (less than 100,000 rows total,
in 6 tables, I think) so this happens fairly quickly.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies