Re: I am verynew to postgresql problem with defining blob field - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From John DeSoi
Subject Re: I am verynew to postgresql problem with defining blob field
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Apr 4, 2005, at 1:34 PM, Richmond Dyes wrote:

> I have not been able to figure out how to define a field as a BLOB. I
> know you can bytea but from what I have read, that is not the
> preferred method to store documents like word, excel, photoshop or the
> like.  Can someone either send me a link to a good explanation on how
> to setup a BLOB field or quickly tell me how?

bytea should be fine for files up to 1 GB. If you need to access parts
of the file, the large object interface might be more suitable. It
supports files up to 2 GB.

Below is the documentation for the large object interface. The table of
contents includes a link to an example program.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/largeobjects.html

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL