Re: Using escape strings in an insert statement. - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Erik Jones
Subject Re: Using escape strings in an insert statement.
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Jul 2, 2007, at 6:11 PM, Michael Glaesemann wrote:

> On Jul 2, 2007, at 17:45 , Paul Lambert wrote:
>
>> tester=# insert into testing (test_text) values ('abcE'\\'123');
>
> This should be
> INSERT INTO testing (test_text) values (E'abc\123');

No, that will leave him with the string 'abc23' beinginserted, he
wants the backslash to be included in the string, that's why he had
two, so it should be:

INSERT INTO testing (test_text) values (E'abc\\123');

>> The help itself (ch 4.1.2.1) tells me to use double backslash
>> "Thus, to include a backslash character, write two backslashes (\
>> \). "
>
> Note that the String Constants section (4.1.2.1) says put the E
> "before the opening single quote".
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/sql-syntax-
> lexical.html#SQL-SYNTAX-CONSTANTS
>
>> An escape string constant is specified by writing the letter E
>> (upper or lower case) just before the opening single quote, e.g.
>> E'foo'.
>
> Also be sure to read the Caution section.
>
> Using \ as an escape character is the old non-standard PostgreSQL
> escape syntax that the WARNING (above) is, uh, warning you about.
> With standard_conforming_strings on (i.e., follow the SQL spec),
> the backslash is just a backslash character.
>
>> Which one is the correct syntax and how can I make it not return
>> anything other than a successful insert?
>
> Depends on the setting of standard_conforming_strings.

With standard_conforming_strings turned on, it would just need to be:

INSERT INTO test (test_text) values ('abc\123');

> Michael Glaesemann
> grzm seespotcode net

>                http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate

Erik Jones