Re: left outer join on more than 2 tables? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Gavin Baumanis
Subject Re: left outer join on more than 2 tables?
Date
List pgsql-sql
At the risk of being wrong.... (I'm always ready to learn something
new) - and seemingly I'm only too happy to be wrong!...

And... it might even be that it is exactly the same result - but I
would have proposed;

SELECT    R.region_name,    Count(*) AS RegionComplaints
FROM    Region AS R        LEFT JOIN City AS Ci            LEFT JOIN Complaint AS Cm ON Ci.id = Cm.city_id      ON R.id
=C.region_id

GROUP BY    R.region_name;

Gavin.

On 17/06/2009, at 7:25 AM, Richard Broersma wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 1:59 PM, Carol
> Cheung<cacheung@consumercontact.com> wrote:
>> I would like to find the counts of complaints by region and I would
>> like all
>> regions to be displayed, regardless of whether or not complaints
>> exist for
>> that region. Is left outer join what I'm looking for?
>
>   SELECT R.region_name, Count(*) AS RegionComplaints
>     FROM Region AS R
> LEFT JOIN City AS Ci
>       ON R.id = C.region_id
> LEFT JOIN Complaint AS Cm
>       ON Ci.id = Cm.city_id
> GROUP BY R.region_name;
>

> --
> Regards,
> Richard Broersma Jr.
>
> Visit the Los Angeles PostgreSQL Users Group (LAPUG)
> http://pugs.postgresql.org/lapug
>
> --

As always Please contact me if I can be of any further assistance.

Gavin "Beau" Baumanis
Senior Application Developer
PalCare P/L

657 Nicholson Street