Re: pgAdmin 1.6 beta password issues - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Dave Page
Subject Re: pgAdmin 1.6 beta password issues
Date
List pgadmin-support

Psql *never* writes the file so that's no real surprise. I can't
reproduce this atm, but will continue looking tomorrow.

> (b) connecting the last server defined in the pgAdmin tree
> always starts
> off with an error. To reproduce:
>   1. start with a cleaned-up pgpass file (remove all weirdnesses as
> described in (a)
>   2. make sure the last server in your tree has a saved
> password (save a
> password through the server definition in pgAdmin and verify that the
> pgpass file looks correct).
>   3. close and reopen pgAdmin
>   4. double click on the last node in the server tree (in
> order to open
> a connection to that server)
>   5. get error pop-up "An error has occurred: Error connecting to the
> server: fe_sendauth: no password supplied"
>   6. close the error window
>   7. double click on same node again
>   8. now you get the connect to server dialog with the "store
> password"
> checkbox on (so it knows that the setting is to have it saved) but no
> password in the textbox
>   9. type the password
>   10. now you can connect
> As you are doing all this monitor the pgpass file and note that it is
> not changing at all: the line for that server was there at
> step 3 and is
> there after step 10 (the file timestamp does change [at step 10], but
> none of its contents are changed).

I've found a couple of bugs here - first, the password wasn't being
saved upon the first connection, only after the smaller prompt upon the
second connection attempt. Secondly, when connecting to a host address,
rather than a hostname, the connection string was constructed such that
libpq would never read the pgpass file. I've fixed both I think, and
will mail a new .exe shortly.

Thanks, Dave.