Re: createuser doesn't tell default settings for some options - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Daniel Gustafsson
Subject Re: createuser doesn't tell default settings for some options
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On 10 Aug 2022, at 08:12, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota.ntt@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> (I suppose this is a pg15 issue)
>
> createuser --help shows the following help text.
>
>> --bypassrls               role can bypass row-level security (RLS) policy
>> --no-bypassrls            role cannot bypass row-level security (RLS) policy
>> --replication             role can initiate replication
>> --no-replication          role cannot initiate replication
>
> For other options the text tells which one is the default, which I
> think the two options also should have the same.

Agreed.  For --no-replication the docs in createuser.sgml should fixed to
include a "This is the default" sentence like the others have as well.

> The interacitive mode doesn't cover all options, but I'm not sure what
> we should do to the mode since I don't have a clear idea of how the
> mode is used.  In the attached only --bypassrls is arbirarily added.
> The remaining options omitted in the interactive mode are: password,
> valid-until, role, member and replication. (attached second)

I'm not convinced that we should add more to the interactive mode, it's IMO
mostly a backwards compat option for ancient (pre-9.2) createuser where this
was automatically done.  Back then we had this in the documentation which has
since been removed:

    "You will be prompted for a name and other missing information if it is not
    specified on the command line."

> The ternary options are checked against decimal 0, but it should use
> TRI_DEFAULT instead. (attached third)

Agreed, nice catch.