Cannot build docs of 9.1 on Windows - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From MauMau
Subject Cannot build docs of 9.1 on Windows
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hello,

I posted the following mail to pgsql-docs, but let me re-post it here
because I'm afraid much less people watch pgsql-docs and pgsql-docs might be
inactive. And the problem is not about the contents of docs but about the
build system, so I thought here might be better.

I'm developing my first patch for PostgreSQL. The target is v9.2.

I'm trying to build HTML docs on Windows Vista (32-bit) with the latest v9.1
Git branch, but the build fails. I followed the procedures in the v9.0
manual. Could you tell me what might be the cause? The situation is as
follows:

The latest commit on my Git repository that "git log -1" shows is:

commit 9bb6d9795253bb521f81c626fea49a704a369ca9
Author: Robert Haas <rhaas@postgresql.org>
Date:   Fri May 13 15:47:31 2011 -0400
   More cleanup of FOREIGN TABLE permissions handling.

I could successfully build and install the program, do initdb, and
start/stop the PostgreSQL server.

The whole content of src/tools/msvc/buildenv.pl is:

$ENV{M4} = 'C:\GNUWin32\bin\m4.exe';
$ENV{DOCROOT} = 'D:\pgdev\doctool';

I ran "builddoc.bat > out.txt 2>&1" in src/tools/msvc. I expected to get
"html" directory in doc/src/sgml, but I couldn't get it after minutes of
execution. The output of builddoc.bat contains some errors. I'll show the
partial contents of out.txt below. The size of out.txt is too large (20.9MB)
to attach. out.txt appears to contain all the HTML manual.

Hash %ENV missing the % in argument 1 of each() at -e line 1.
Hash %ENV missing the % in argument 1 of each() at -e line 1.
Can't open perl script "make-errcodes-table.pl": No such file or directory
Running first build...
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<HTML
><HEAD
><TITLE
>PostgreSQL 9.1beta1 Documentation</TITLE
><META
></BODY
></HTML

Running collateindex...
collateindex.pl: file "HTML.index" does not exist
Running second build...
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<HTML
><HEAD
><TITLE
>PostgreSQL 9.1beta1 Documentation</TITLE
><META
></BODY
></HTML

Docs build complete.