Group by range in hour of day - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Israel Brewster
Subject Group by range in hour of day
Date
Re: Group by range in hour of day  (Paul Jungwirth <pj@illuminatedcomputing.com>)
Re: Group by range in hour of day  (John W Higgins <wishdev@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
I have a table with two timestamp columns for the start time and end time of each record (call them start and end).I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to group these records by "hour of day", that is the record should be included in the group if the hour of the day for the group falls anywhere in the range [start,end]. Obviously each record may well fall into multiple groups under this scenario.

The goal here is to figure out, for each hour of the day, a) what is the total number of "active" records for that hour, and b) what is the total "active" time for those records during the hour, with an ultimate goal of figuring out the average active time per record per hour.

So, for simplified example, if the table contained three records:

         start              |               end

Then the results should break out something like this:

hour  |  count  |  sum
-----------------------------
8       |    1       |   0.75
9       |    2       |   1.5
10     |    3       |   1.5
11     |    1       |   0.5

I can then easily manipulate these values to get my ultimate goal of the average, which would of course always be less than or equal to 1. Is this doable in postgress? Or would it be a better idea to simply pull the raw data and post-process in code? Thanks.

Israel Brewster
Systems Analyst II
Ravn Alaska
5245 Airport Industrial Rd