Re: Group by range in hour of day - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Paul Jungwirth
Subject Re: Group by range in hour of day
Date
List pgsql-general
> I have a table with two timestamp columns for the start time and end
> time of each record (call them start and end).I'm trying to figure out
> if there is a way to group these records by "hour of day",

I think you can do this by selecting `FROM generate_series(0, 23) s(h)`
and then joining to your table based on `h BETWEEN start AND end`.

Whenever I need to write a time-series aggregate query I reach for
generate_series. Mostly that's so I have output rows even when COUNT(*)
would be 0, but here it also means that a row from your data can feed
into multiple output rows.

I could probably write this out in more detail if you like, but that's
the short version. :-)

Good luck!

Paul