PostgreSQL on Solaris/SPARC with gcc - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Horák Daniel
Subject PostgreSQL on Solaris/SPARC with gcc
Date
Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL on Solaris/SPARC with gcc  (Peter Eisentraut <e99re41@DoCS.UU.SE>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hello,

I have a report from compiling PostgreSQL 6.5.3 on Solaris/SPARC with gcc/ld
(it was not run by me, I was ask to help to solve this problem). Everything
goes OK (with template solaris_sparc_gcc autodetected when running
configure) but when trying to load plpgsql or other loaded module it woes
with

ERROR:  Load of file /usr/local/pgsql/lib/plpgsql.so failed: ld.so.1:
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster: fatal: relocation error: file
/usr/local/pgsql/lib/plpgsql.so: symbol CurrentMemoryContext: referenced
symbol not found

it is caused by the fact that the symbol CurrentMemoryContext is not
exported from the main executable (postmaster). The solution is to use
"-export-dynamic" switch when linking postgres executable (it is used on
Linux).

I think it will require a new system specific makefile. The
Makefile.solaris_sparc is done for solaric_sparc_cc template. More details
can be send.

        Dan

Daniel Horak
network and system administrator