Re: mail alert - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Jan Verheyden
Subject Re: mail alert
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hi,

Is it possible to use pgsql for creating a mailer script??
Can you help me as well with my first question? (below)

Thanks a lot!

Jan

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Sargent [mailto:robjsargent@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 12, 2009 4:01 PM
To: Jan Verheyden
Cc: 'Denis BUCHER'; 'pgsql-sql@postgresql.org'
Subject: Re: [SQL] mail alert

It looks to me like you want Dennis's #2.  Lauch a mailer script from a
trigger function.  (Function can be any language you're familiar with
including pgsql if you wish to take advantage of   "\! your-mail-script"

Jan Verheyden wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I got a bit stuck...
> I was looking for a solution for option a)
>
> Maybe I'll first explain the situation a bit more:
>
> I have one database for patient registration
> Another one for image storage
> And a third one for book keeping
> A patient should be registered first before the images are stored, so if there is a new line in the second database
withan id which does not exist yet, it has to be notified in the book keeping database.

> Now the questions:
>     1) Can I do this with the inner join (tables subject_id from DB1, pat_id from DB2), there it is two different
databases

>     2) Once it is notified in the book keeping that is not registered yet, is it best to poll on this column to send
awarning, or use a trigger??