pgsql: Doc/improve confusing, inefficient tests to locate CTID variable - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject pgsql: Doc/improve confusing, inefficient tests to locate CTID variable
Date
List pgsql-committers
Doc/improve confusing, inefficient tests to locate CTID variable.

The IsCTIDVar() tests in nodeTidscan.c and nodeTidrangescan.c
look buggy at first sight: they aren't checking that the varno
matches the table to be scanned.  Actually they're safe because
any Var in a scan-level qual must be for the correct table ...
but if we're depending on that, it's pretty pointless to verify
varlevelsup.  (Besides which, varlevelsup is *always* zero at
execution, since we've flattened the rangetable long since.)

Remove the useless varlevelsup check, and instead add some
commentary explaining why we don't need to check varno.

Noted while fooling with a planner change that causes the order
of "t1.ctid = t2.ctid" to change in some tidscan.sql tests;
I was briefly fooled into thinking there was a live bug here.

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/13d53aa7a83383c9d1343e7d725e615f8678aea8

Modified Files
src/backend/executor/nodeTidrangescan.c | 9 +++++++--
src/backend/executor/nodeTidscan.c      | 9 +++++++--